Today’s recipe is Hamburger steak. Now, here in Japan, Hamburger steak is one of the most popular meal for dinner. It could be petit size, could be big, it’s like every family has its own style. My family’s style is MASSIVE. GIGANTIC. I don’t know how it happened or since when, but it’s one of my mum’s signatures. When I started cooking by myself, I didn’t make hamburger steak almost at all. Because it takes time, it’s hard to tell if the meat is cooked or not. But recently, I started making it with my own style. It is definitely inspired by my mum. Only my mum’s bigger than mine.lol I love to add many kinds of spice, it gives the meat perfect flavor. I steam the steak before I put it in the oven, so it never comes out uncooked. It might take time, but I promise you, it worth the effort!
The Thickest Hamburger Steak
500 to 600g grounded beef(for 2 pieces)
1 small onion or 1/2 big onion
2 tbsp Panko
2 tbsp All purpose flour
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp All spice
2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp oyster sauce
- Put all the ingredients in a big bowl. For onion, please cut in rough dice before adding. Mix it well with a hand. Add extra flour if it’s too watery. Mix it till it gets sticky, but try not to squish all the grounded meat. (it would be better with some meat chunks, in my opinion.)
- Make the patty with your hands. Toss between your hands to remove air inside. It could be hard, so don’t do it too strong.
- Grease a pan with butter and place the patty. A bit weaker than the highest heat would be good. When the surface gets grilled(like in the picture), flip the patty and wait till it gets same.
- Pour 100ml water into the pan and turn the heat to middle, put a lid and roast the meat for 10 to 15 minutes. To see if it’s cooked, stick a toothpick(or something sharp) in the patty, if the meat juice is transparent then it’s ready.
- Prepare the oven at 180°C(240°C for electric oven). Grease an oven dish with butter and place the patty. Put some veggies if you like. I like carrots, broccoli, mushroom and celery. Bake for 20 minutes and it should be ready to eat.
- If you desire, make gravy sauce with the meat juice that’s left in the pan. I like to put balsamic vinegar for a change.
- Also, while you wait for 20 mins, I recommend to make some sidedish. How about Mac and cheese? I made it in last recipe 😉