Corona virus is everywhere. I’ve seen many pictures where people saying “No pasta at supermarket”. I understand it under the circumstances. I understand it’s scary and sad we all have to stay inside. But let’s make this a chance to try something new? What about… making pasta from scratch? We’ve got time, we all need food, we all need to have fun. Making pasta is not difficult at all(if you don’t go fully traditional Italian way). You can create your pasta. Let’s do it.
So, do you know what “tortellini” is? If you have no idea, it’s something like ravioli. You put the filling such as spinach, cheese and bacon. You’ll get melted cheese with creamy spinach from pasta. Since the pasta is already flavorful, the sauce can be very simple. Tomato sauce, cream sauce, cheesy sauce.
One another good thing about making pasta from scratch is that you can keep the left-dough in the freezer. I always cut it in rectangle shape for lasagna and keep them. Now, shall we get started?
Tortellini From Scratch
- For pasta dough
200g bread flour(or cake flour)
a pinch of salt
- The filling
2 bunches of spinach
50g your choice of cheese
3 strips of bacon
Try other filling like dried tomatoes and basil 🙂
- For sauce
Simple sauce will be enough. Personally I like tomato creamy sauce.
- Prepare a big bowl, add flour and make it into a mound. Make a pocket on the top and crack an egg in there. If you use bread flour, the pasta texture will be springy. But it takes more strength to knead the dough. So it’s up to you, cake flour dough may be better for the first attempt.
- Add a pinch of salt. Mix the egg by covering it with floud around. When mixed, pour water bit by bit. (less than 10ml, I really mean bit by bit here) Mix it well each time. When it doesn’t stick to your hand and comes together, let’s knead it on a work table. grab the edge, fold it in the center and squeeze in. Rotate 90° and repeat it for 10 to 15 minutes. Wrap it with plastic wrap and let it set for 30 mins to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, we prepare the filling. Chop spinach, cheese and bacon and mix it well. If you have a blender, that’s better. Adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper.
- Roll out the dough. There’s not tip for it, just roll out. Make sure to sprinkle some flour to the work table. Rolling out it into 1mm thickness, then cut it into 6-7cm sizes square.
- Put the filling in the middle of the square pasta, shape a triangle around the filling and seal the edge. Put together the 2 tops of triangle(like making a ring with these 2 tops). Fix the other top to the other side and done. ( It is very difficult to explain.. please check out the recipe video below)
- As mentioned earlier, the left-dough can be kept in the freezer. You can cut it into fetteciune, lasagna, etc. freeze them individually and once it’s frozen, you can put together in a container.
- Boil water in a pot and add a pinch of salt and drop some olive oil in the water. Wait pasta till they float to the surface, then cook for another 2minutes and drain water.
- Mix it with the sauce you prepare and it’s ready to eat! You’ll have the melted cheese and spinach from pasta, I promise you will be very happy!